An intensive care unit (ICU) is a special department of a hospital or healthcare facility that provides intensive care medicine, intensive care treatment and intensive care support. Intensive care units cater to patients with severe and life-threatening illnesses & injuries, which require constant attention, close monitoring and support from highly advanced and specialized equipment and medications in order to ensure and maintain normal bodily functions.
The Intensive Care Unit of United Hospital is staffed by highly trained doctors and nurses who specialize in caring for seriously ill patients. Patients may be transferred directly to the ICU from our emergency department or from a ward if they rapidly deteriorate or immediately after surgery if the surgery is very invasive and the patient is at high risk of complications.
ICU's are also distinguished from normal hospital wards by a higher staff-to-patient ratio and access to highly advanced medical resources. Common conditions that are treated within ICUs include ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome), trauma, multiple organ failure and sepsis.
In United Hospital, we provide exceptional and specialized personal care for every critical patient on 1:1 basis nursing service, supervised by trained ICU doctors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our ICU Services & Facilities are:
- 24 hours supervision under guidance of highly trained consultant with 10 years overseas experience in ICU.
- 24 hours presence of internist and ICU doctors.
- 24 hours trained nursing staff for each individual patient.
- Central monitoring system.
- Hi-Tech vital sign monitor for every patient.
- Invasive & non-invasive haemodynamic monitoring system.
- Bispectral Index (BIS) monitoring for assessment of brain activity – brain monitoring.
- Syringe & infusion pumps for metered medications and accurate volume infusions.
- Ultramodern ventilator with monitoring facilities to aid patient's own breathing effort.
- Instant ABG (arterial blood gas) analysis within ICU.
- Instant electrolyte assessment within ICU.
- Portable ventilators - during transportation within the hospital for various purposes like CT scan, MRI etc. we use portable ventilators and also to bring ventilated patients from other hospitals.
- Portable X-ray machine within ICU.
- Bed side Echocardiogram and Ultrasonogram.
- Facility to implant temporary pacemaker.
- IABP (intra-aortic balloon pump) facility to maintain blood pressure in patients with circulatory failure.
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN) for patients who are unable to have enteral nutrition
- Highly specialized physiotherapy service
Equipment and Systems
Our ICU is fully equipped with bio-medical equipments such as mechanical ventilators to assist breathing through an endotracheal tube or a tracheostomy tube; cardiac monitors including those with external pacemakers; defibrillators; dialysis equipment for renal problems; equipment for the constant monitoring of bodily functions; a web of intravenous lines, feeding tubes, nasogastric tubes, suction pumps, drains and catheters and a wide array of drugs to treat the primary condition(s) of hospitalization.
Every single patient bed in the hospital is installed with Bed Head Unit/Panel, Medical Rail System also called Wall Utilizer.