General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal contents including esophagus, stomach, small bowel, colon, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, bile ducts and often the thyroid gland. General surgery also deals with diseases involving the skin, breast, soft tissue and hernias.
United Hospital’s Department of General Surgery consists of experienced surgeons and anesthetic teams who provide outstanding service in Bangladesh. The mission of the Department of General Surgery is to provide the finest and the best possible surgical care & service to our patients with special emphasis on ethics and quality. Our hospital has the latest, state of the art surgical instruments ensuring patient’s safety in surgical procedures and providing optimum services round the clock. Our extremely dedicated in-house surgeons are highly qualified and specialized in performing these operations. United Hospital is the first state of the art hospital in Bangladesh which is specially designed for general and laparoscopic surgery and day care basis minor surgery.
The Department of General Surgery provides services in the following ways:
- Outpatient department of surgery
- Emergency surgical procedure
- Day care basis minor surgical procedure
Our general surgeons are sub-specialized in one or more of the following disciplines:
- Trauma surgery - General surgeons are able to deal initially with almost any surgical emergency. All general surgeons are trained in emergency surgery. Bleeding, infections, bowel obstructions and organ perforations are the main problems they deal with. Cholecystectomy, the surgical removal of the gallbladder, is one of the most common surgical procedures done worldwide - when the gallbladder becomes acutely inflamed and requires an emergency operation. Appendix rupture and small bowel obstructions are other common emergencies.
- Laparoscopic surgery - this specialty deals with minimal access techniques using cameras and small instruments inserted through 0.3 to 1 cm incisions. Gallbladders, appendices and colons can all be removed with this technique. Hernias are now repaired mostly laparoscopically. United Hospital’s general surgeons are proficient in laparoscopic procedures.
- Colorectal surgery - general surgeons treat a wide variety of major and minor colon and rectal diseases including inflammatory bowel diseases such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease, diverticulitis, colon and rectal cancer, gastrointestinal bleeding and hemorrhoids.
- Abdominal surgery – this broadly covers surgical procedures that involve opening the abdomen. Surgery of each abdominal organ is dealt with separately. Diseases affecting the abdominal cavity are dealt with generally under their own names (e.g. appendicitis).
- Breast surgery - general surgeons perform a majority of all non-cosmetic breast surgery from lumpectomy to mastectomy especially pertaining to the evaluation and diagnosis of breast cancer.
- Surgical Oncology - general surgeons also sub-specialize in cancer surgery.
- Reconstructive surgery - the common feature is that the operation attempts to restore the anatomy or the function of the body part to normal.