Neonatology is a branch of medicine that is concerned with the care, development and diseases of newborn infants especially for ill or premature newborns and those with disorders. Neonatal means the first 28 days of an infant’s life.
Neonatology is a branch of Pediatrics that deals with the diseases and care of newborns.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit / NICU
United Hospital provides world class personal care for every critical baby on 1:1 basis nursing service supervised by trained NICU doctors 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using highly modern equipments and supported by highly specialized and dedicated staff members.
United Hospital’s Neonatal and Pediatrics Intensive Care Units are very delicate and sensitive parts of the hospital where neonates or new born babies are treated for life threatening illnesses.
Our NICU and PICU Services & Facilities are:
- 24 hours supervision under guidance of highly trained consultant with over 10 year overseas experience in NICU and PICU.
- 24 hours presence of NICU and PICU doctors.
- 24 hours trained nursing staff for each individual patient (1:1 ratio in level lll).
- Hi-Tech vital sign monitors for every baby.
- Invasive & non-invasive haemodynamic monitoring system.
- Syringe & infusion pumps for metered medications and accurate volume infusions.
- Modern ventilator with monitoring facilities for babies own breathing effort.
- Bottle CPAP facilities.
- Surfactant administration for RDS babies.
- Transilluminator for detecting pneumothorax and appropriate management. Transilluminator is a device or instrument that projects light and causes light to pass through. It allows the passage of strong light through a body structure to permit inspection by an observer.
- Instant ABG (arterial blood gas) analysis and electrolyte assessment.
- Modern neonatal incubator - (Giraffe) and also radiant warmer and incubators. The Giraffe incubator allows us to provide quality care which helps reduce stress on the baby, family and staff.
- Portable X-ray machine within the Care Unit.
- Bed side Echocardiogram and Ultra sonogram.
- 3 levels of NICU care:
Level lll - Managing very sick and preterm babies, also providing ventilator and CPAP facilities
Level ll - HID facilities for managing sick newborns
Level l - Management of neonatal jaundice providing phototherapy & management of infants
- Diabetic mother & routine checkup of healthy baby.
- Different modalities of modern phototherapy units including single, double and intensive phototherapy facilities.
- Bili blanket for reducing jaundice in preterm babies.
- Facilities for exchange transfusion in newborns.
Pediatrics (also spelled Paediatrics) is a branch of medicine that deals with the medical care of infants, children and adolescents. This department comprises of very prominent & distinguished physicians who are dedicated to the health and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
A Pediatrician is a child’s physician who provides preventive health maintenance for healthy children, medical care for children who are acutely ill.
Pediatricians manage the physical, mental and emotional well-being of their patients in every stage of their development – to reduce infant mortality, control infectious diseases and ease the difficulties of children and adolescents with chronic condition.
Pediatricians diagnose and treat:
- genetic defects
- organic diseases and dysfunctions
Pediatricians are concerned with more than physical well-being. They are also involved with the prevention, early detection and management of other problems that affect children & adolescents including:
- behavioral difficulties
- developmental disorders
- functional problems
- social stresses
- depression or anxiety disorders